Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Advertising

It seems to me that advertising these days is getting way out of hand. There is hardly a shred of truth to many of the ads I see on TV on a daily basis.

The one that annoys me the most is the "Tacoma - Meteor Proof" ad in which a Toyota truck is supposedly struck by a meteor (which would actually have burned up in the earth's atmosphere) and comes through without a scratch. Then they flash up "Tacoma - Meteor Proof" on the screen and in tiny little letters on the bottom they tell you this is a dramatization. Uh, yeah, duh. It annoys me that they can get away with even suggesting that their truck is meteor proof. That is total BS. If a meteor hit that truck it would be in sand size fragments scattered for miles and miles. The FCC was on Janet Jackson's boobie like a calf on a teat, so where are they now?

An ad that I actually find offensive - and I am pretty laid back about everything - is an ad for beef jerky. I can't remember the company, so their ad didn't work on me, but they show this helicopter flying low over the Australian bush and all these people running around like wild animals. Then, they start shooting people with tranquilizer guns so they can tag their ears and such. That is some messed up shit right there. How did they let this get on the air? Hello, FCC, stop staring at Janet's nipple, put your pants back on and get back to work.

Another ad that I hate is only on during the holidays, but it is on every year like clockwork. The Lexus ad that asks you to buy your significant other a new car for Christmas. Wait, what - can you repeat that? You want me to what? There is nobody in the world I love more than myself and I wouldn't even buy me a car for Christmas! And people wonder why the U.S. has a zero percent savings rate, hello!

Now if you will please excuse me, I have to get back to "The Champagne of Beers" before it warms up and tastes like feet.

No comments: