Saturday, January 7, 2006

January 6, 1996

Does anybody remember why this date is significant? "Anybody, anybody..." That's right, it was the day that I moved to Virginia from Maine, 10 years ago today - er - yesterday. Oh yeah, it was also the day The Blizzard of 96 started. Good times!

I distinctly remember driving across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge for the first time about 6:00pm, looking off to the right to Old Towne Alexandria and seeing the George Washington Masonic Memorial all lit up - although I had no idea what it was at the time. And way off in the distance - Washington, DC.

We, I came here with a fiancee, ended up in Kingstowne where we crashed with some friends. Our first meal was at Damon's, right in Kingstowne. As we walked outside, slightly inebriated, after our inaugural meal the snow flakes were just beginning to fly.

We drove 720 miles to leave the snow and cold of Maine behind us and what greeted us in Virginia? Record snow and cold - oh joy! When the snow stopped falling on Monday the landscape looked eerily familiar to the one we left behind, except for the Virginia license plates on the cars.

Ten years later I am still here. Somewhere along the way I lost my fiancee, she still lives locally, we just don't hang out or talk or anything. Overall, I have enjoyed my first ten years in NoVA and I look forward to the next ten.

No comments: