Monday, February 15, 2010

Snowmageddeon!!!

I had two competing theories about the Winter of 2010 back in December. They were polar opposites and I knew that only one of them would pan out.

A) Snow in early December is the sign of a mild winter to come.

B) Every 7th winter in Washington DC is horrible, with tons of snow.

As you probably know by now, Theory B is the big winner. The trend of every 7 winters being a ferocious one in greater Washington DC lives on.

My first year here, 1996 was horrendous. Although to me, having spent the previous 22 winters in Maine, it didn't seem that bad. By the time the winter of 2003 rolled around, with the famous President's Day Blizzard, my Yankee blood had thinned out enough so that I was totally miserable.

Flash forward another 7 years to the winter of 2010 and I am enduring the worst winter in the history of Washington DC. Ever. So far I've shoveled 63 inches of the white stuff off my car this winter season. That is a new all time record for snow in one winter and it is only mid-February. In fact, that is 5 more inches of snow than my hometown up in Maine has gotten this year. Joy.



Deja vu all over again:



It is not only DC that is in the grips of a record winter. Baltimore and Philadelphia are also sharing the love and have also set all time snowfall records this winter. Meanwhile the winter festival in Portland, Maine has been canceled due to a lack of snow and the snow is hard to find at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC.

A storm even rolled through the deep south last Friday and left snow in places like Florida, Alabama and Georgia. As a result of it, 49 of the 50 U.S. states had measurable snow on the ground on Saturday, February 13, 2010. The only state without any snow was Hawaii. Hawaii sounds pretty good to me right now.

Mood: Cold


Failed Advertising Slogan of the Day:

"The Virginia Lottery: screwing you out of your hard earned money."


Movie Quote of the Day:

"He set an American League record with 4 wild pitches in one inning." - Major League

No comments: