Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Rest Of The Story

I wrote in late December at how mystified I was that Jason Bay went to the Mets for only 10% more than what the Sox offered him. It turns out what I had then for information was just the tip of the iceberg. I now 100% understand why Jason left the Sox for New York and I don't blame him one bit.

It came out this week that the Sox wanted Jason to sign a contract with all kinds of medical clauses and conditions in it even though he has been nothing but healthy in his MLB career. The Sox offered him 2 guaranteed years at $15 Million and then 2 more at $15 Million if he met certain health and productivity levels. The Mets offered him $16.5 Million per year for 4 years, guaranteed, plus an optional 5th year.

It sounds as if there is still a lot more to this story which we may or may not ever find out. Anyway, I certainly understand now why Jason took the Mets offer over what the Sox offered him. He made the best decision for himself and his family and I wish him nothing but the best.

In fact, I now am questioning the business tactics used by the Red Sox in general. If this is how they treat their best player - Jason led the Sox in Home Runs, RBI and was 2nd in Runs Scored in 2009 - during contract negotiations that doesn't say much about the organization. When you combine this with how they have treated Mike Lowell - The MVP of the 2007 World Series - over the past few months I have a very bad taste in my mouth for the Sox right now. If they keep it up they are going to get a bad reputation and the best players may start passing the Sox up no matter how much money they offer them.

Mood: Disappointed.

Failed Advertising Slogan Of The Day:

"The day you give someone a Lexus is the day you lose your soul."

No comments: