Friday, April 4, 2008

Signs of Spring

I hate winter. I don't think I can even put into words how much I despise snow and cold and wind. Luckily the winter was a mild one here in NoVa. A mere 10 inches of snow this year, less than half of what we normally get. Maybe global warming isn't so bad after all. No, perish that thought. I don't want to get a sunburn walking from the house to my car in 2035. But that's a whole 'nother blog.

After our mild winter of 2008 spring is in full effect in greater DC. The Cherry Blossoms are out, the grass is green and it is only a matter of time until I will be burning my butt on the black leather seats of my car when I hop in. Here are my Top 5 Favorite Signs of Spring.

#5) Green Grass. Just looking out the window and seeing a vibrant green carpet of lawn. The grass turning green is about a month long process. You may catch a fresh green sprig or two in early March or even late February. But it takes 3 or 4 more weeks for several thousand of the little buggers to sprout up and form a lawn.

#4) Daffodils. The earliest breed of flowers to sprout up and show their elegance each year. I am always amazed how many daffodils you see when traveling around the local highways. It seems they are planted in every median strip and next to every off ramp in addition to being a garden staple. I-395 in Alexandria and Arlington is just chock full of daffodils.

#3) The smell of a fresh cut lawn. I am the only one in my family who is not stricken with big time allergies. As a result, I just love the unmistakable scent of a fresh cut lawn. That is a sign that spring is truly here to stay. I haven't got a whiff of it yet, but any day now it will hit me and I will drink it in.

#2) MLB Opening Day. Yes, I am slightly obsessed with baseball. I would probably watch 2 kids play 1-on-1 wiffleball if you gave me a hot dog, a Coke and a lawn chair. Just hearing the crack of the bat and the roar of the crowd gives me tingles. Everyone is in first place on Opening Day - even the Rays, Pirates and Royals. I have been to a few opening days. It snowed at the last one I went to in 2003. I decided at that time that the best seat for Opening Day is on my couch.

#1) Forsythia. You know that bright yellow shrub you see every spring and don't know the name of. It's called forsythia. I didn't have to look it up. We had some in front of our house growing up. Its bright, vibrant, electric-yellow blossoms can brighten up even the most dreary March day. Just like with daffodils, I am always amazed how much forsythia there is. It is everywhere but you only notice it with its yellow bloomers a showing. The rest of the year it is very conspicuous with its standard green leaves.

Honorable Mention: Spring Training.

When pitchers and catchers report to Florida and Arizona in mid-February it is a pseudo-sign of spring. That at least means that the grass is green and the temps are warm in Florida and spring will be working its way up the East Coast soon.

Mood: Energetic

Listening To:

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name ain't John this is somebody else's greasy shirt, my name's Kurt."

-Famous People

Brad Paisley

No comments: