Monday, May 26, 2008

The Sting of Summer

Memorial Day Weekend is often referred to as the "unofficial start of summer". Works for me! Spring 2008 in NoVa has been a wet one. The good news is the drought is over. In fact, we have had a whopping 22 inches of rain since April 1st. That is just over 7 months worth of rain in 55 days. It certainly isn't time to start building an arch but it has made spring rather cold, damp and miserable.

Summer is my favorite season. You can keep winter for yourself, send me pictures of the spring and write me a postcard about autumn. Summer is where it's at! I will take 12 months of July - no school and my birthday to boot! To me, summer means road trips to the beach, baseball games on sweltering summer nights, campfires and smores with the family and getting off the beaten path for a little while.

With gas at $4.00 per gallon I will probably be a little more conservative with my travel time this year. I am more likely to attend a Potomac Nationals game - a round trip of 28 miles - than to make a trip to Baltimore, Frederick or Pittsburgh to watch a game - all places I have ventured to in the past to see a game.

I will most likely make one trip to New England instead of two but it will be a few days longer than in the past. I will probably squeeze in a trip to the Midwest to visit my bro somewhere too. Places to go and people to see this summer for sure.

My long weekend was nice. Got in my first baseball game of the year. Hot dog, nachos and a soda for $10.50 at Pfitzner Stadium - gotta love the minor leagues. I even had the ambition to make some ice cream on Sunday but I have apparently misplaced my ice cream maker. I have the thing you freeze but not the big arm that churns it. It's kind of like having a car without an engine. I hope psycho doesn't have it. The bitch definitely has my smores maker - grrrrrrrrrrr!

Mood: Adventurous

Song of the Day:

"As we are dancing, Mary's wrapping her arms around me and I can feel the sting of summer on my skin."

-Anything But Mine

Kenny Chesney

It's Ironic: That too much fertilizer will kill your lawn and garden.

No comments: