Wednesday, November 2, 2005

The Guvernator

Election day is right around the corner and the hot race in my little patch of the world is the Governor's race here in Virginia. Now I am not the least bit into politics, frankly I feel which party controls the Senate has very little impact on my day to day life. The Governor's race here in VA is supposedly a tight one. There are "Kaine" and "Kilgore" signs everywhere, "On Every Street" as Dire Straits would say. The funny thing is that neither candidate lists the party they represent on their signs or in their TV ads. It doesn't say "The Republican candidate for Governor" or "The Democratic candidate for Governor" anywhere in any media I have seen for either candidate. Are they that embarrassed about their political affiliation? Shouldn't these guys be excited that they are their party's choice for the highest office in our state? It doesn't seem to me that they are. Come on fellas, show us some sack!

The death penalty is supposedly the hot button issue of this race, but the issue that I think is interesting is the widening of I-66 inside the Capital Beltway. Kilgore is saying that he will get that done. I don't believe this promise for a second. I still remember Jim Gilmore's promise in 1997 to get rid of the car tax. People bought it and he became Governor and 8 years later I am still paying a car tax. It is easy to make false promises when you know you will not be the one who has to take responsibility when they are not fulfilled.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice and......um......well.....you're not gonna fool me twice".

No comments: