Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Best Names In College Baseball 2010

Tonight was the last college baseball game played at Omaha's iconic Rosenblatt Stadium. The College World Series, CWS for short, has called it home since 1950. As is the trend in baseball, a new downtown stadium is being constructed in Omaha which will signal the end of Rosenblatt. Like most iconic sports stadiums of the past it will not live on, it will be torn down in the name of progress. The unjust ending for Rosenblatt is that is will be turned into, acccckkkkkkkkk, a parking lot for the zoo next door. Personally, I think this is a major injustice. There is something about college baseball and those red, yellow, and blue seats that just go together like a hot dog and a coke.

The last game was a gem. A classic pitchers duel that went into extra innings. In the end, the South Carolina Gamecocks won their first ever NCAA baseball title with a 2-1 win in 12 innings over UCLA with a walk off hit. It was a fitting ending to the College World Series' time at Rosenblatt.

I am sure that the new stadium, TD Ameritrade Park, will serve the CWS well in the coming years. I have my fingers crossed that it will have those sweet red, yellow, and blue seats but I am not holding my breath.

Here is my list of the best names in college baseball for 2010. I didn't watch as much baseball this year as in the past. There just wasn't as much coverage with the friggin' World Cup going on. Don't worry, I haven't watched even 1 second of World Cup soccer action and never well. I am much too strong to be drawn to the Dark Side of the force.

The same rules apply as my original list in 2009.
* Only one player from any team can make the list
* You can only make the list once

The Best Names In College Baseball 2010:

Starting Pitcher: Boogie Anagnostou, Rice

Relief Pitcher: Jason Fuqua, Arkansas

Catcher: Yasmini Grandall, U of Miami

1st Base: Blake Dean, LSU

2nd Base: Cody Regis, UCLA

3rd Base: Nick Vickerson, Mississippi State

Shortstop: Caleb Bushyhead, Oklahoma

Left Field: Rand Ravnaas, Georgetown

Center Field: Matt Den Dekker, Florida

Right Field: Yoandy Barroso, FIU

Designated Hitter: Russell Moldenhauer, Texas

Coach: Jim Schlossnagle, TCU


Mood: Nostalgic


Song of the Day:

"I'll take you down the only road I've ever been down."

- Bittersweet Symphony

The Verve


It's Ironic: That my bank sends me a paper confirmation each time I set up an electronic funds transfer.

No comments: