Tuesday, November 4, 2008

270

On any other day I would hear the number 270 and think it was about traffic. I270 in Maryland is just one of the many commuter hells that lurk in greater DC. But not today. Today the number 270 signifies something else entirely. As you all know by now it represents the number of electoral votes needed to be confirmed as the President of the United States.

As I write this it appears that Barack Obama is on his way to doing just that. No matter who wins today it is a truly historical day in the world of American politics. We will either have our first black president or our first female vice president. A glass ceiling will be broken today for sure.

The biggest surprise to me today at the polls was the return of paper ballot. We have had electronic ballots here in Northern Virginia for as long as I can remember. They were still there this year too but in addition you could vote by paper ballot instead if you prefer.

I chose the paper option because I thought when else will I get the chance to do it the old fashion way again? Then an election official told me on the way out that next year it will probably all be paper ballots. It appears the more things change the more they stay the same.

It actually looks as though Virginia may be a crucial cog in the Obama wheel this election day. He has apparently carried the state. A state that has not voted Democratic for President since 1964. Good to know that I was a part of history in the making.

Mood: Energized

Band of the Day:

The Presidents of the United States of America

No comments: